In Memory: John Lee Hooker
August 22, 1917 - June 21, 2001

Today marks the seven year anniversary of the death of legendary blues musician, John Lee Hooker. His passing was a large loss for so many people including myself. I had the opportunity of meeting John Lee in the 1980's and became not only a close friend, but was his personal assistant for many years.

Aside from John Lee being one of the world's greatest musical legends, he was one of the kindest people I've ever known. Generous and caring, with an extraordinary sense of humor, John Lee would make anyone in his presence feel comfortable, and if someone was in need, he was there with a helping hand or offering a room to sleep in. There were no airs about him. He was a deep thinker and "real" person with gifts far beyond his musical talents. Not a day goes by that I don't remember some funny expression he had or story he told. His memory always brings a smile to my face. For all of us whose lives you've touched, John we miss you so.

My last photo with John on my 40th birthday

The early years
"The Boogie Man"

John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom

Comments

Kathy said…
I've been a huge fan of JLH for as long as I can remember, and was fortunate enough to see him perform several times.

What a great life experience for you to know a legend in such a personal fashion.
Kathy, thank you for the post. Yes, he was truly a gem. I met JLH when I was working at Wells Fargo Bank. He introduced himself as, "I'm the Boogie Man." I knew nothing about Blues music and who was this funny man? Well, now I love Blues music and I definitely know who that funny man was! L

Popular Posts